clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e
  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search search for:
clear space
white space
Proceedings of the Provincial Court, 1666-1670
Volume 57, Preface 62   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space


        lxii                 Introduction.

        prest 7 dayes” (pp. 523-524). These charges were for part of the expenses
        of the expedition which White had been ordered by the Council to make to
        lay out the northern bounds of the province as near as possible to the fortieth
        degree of latitude (Arch. Md. V, 56, 58). The “Barrones” were unquestionably
        the barrens, an unforested band of territory some eight or nine miles in width
        which extended from a point near where Deer Creek flows into the Susque-
        hanna River southwesterly across Baltimore County and beyQnd. These bar-
        rens antedated the settlement of the Province, and an interesting account of
        them will be found in a paper by William B. Marye published in the Maryland
        Historical Magazine in 1935 (XXX, 120-122). Amickinn has not been iden-
        tified; it may lie within the bounds of what is now Pennsylvania or Delaware.
          Following the recording of a deed for 600 acres of land, part of Little Elton-
        head Manor, Calvert County, from Thomas Taylor, gentleman, to Charles Cal-
        vert, the Governor, there was recorded an agreement dated May 11, 1668, in
        which Taylor, who continued to live on the land adjoining, and the Gov-
        ernor, formally agreed that any “fresh ponds or other ponds whatsoever that
        are Adjacent and belong” to the land sold, “are Free to be fish'd and fowl'd in
        by either party or by either of theire heires or Assigns without any lett or
        molestacon" (p. 296). This is perhaps the first example in Maryland of a
        small, but very select, ducking and fishing club.
          There were two instances both of which came before the same court which
        was held in February, 1669/70, involving expenses incurred in burying persons
        who appear to have been strangers. James Lee of Charles County, who not
        infrequently acted as what in modern days is called an undertaker, was allowed
        3170 pounds of tobacco for his “great charge trouble and expenses in enter-
        taineing attending and burieing One Constantine Hattaway Cheife Mate” to
        Captain Edward Peerce, the charges to be paid by the Captain (p. 507). This
        seems a high-priced funeral for these days. In sharp contrast to this is the
        400 pounds of tobacco allowed by the court to Henry Pennington “for the
        burying and expenses upon Richard Miller deceased” (p. 507).
          Only one mention of a school or school teacher occurs in this court record.
        In a criminal action for assault referred to elsewhere in this introduction,
        there is to be found mention of a school house on Island Creek, Patuxent River,
        Calvert County apparently conducted by John Grammer, where the assault is
        said to have occurred (pp. 151, 152).
          The first charter of St. Mary's City, dated November 3, 1668, will be found
        recorded in these proceedings of the Provincial Court (pp. 348-350). It is also
        recorded in the Proceedings of the Court of Chancery (Arch. Md. LI, 567-70).
        By it was incorporated a city one mile square. The charter provided for the
        election of a mayor, recorder, aldermen, and common council by the inhabitants,
        with the right given them to make laws and ordinances, and to appoint con-
        stables; and to hold a weekly market and a yearly fair with a court of pypowdry
        (pp. 348-350).
          Obviously only those matters of more general interest to the student of
        seventeenth century jurisprudence and social customs are commented upon in
        this introduction. The interested reader will find in the index the key to much
        which is not touched upon here.
        


 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Proceedings of the Provincial Court, 1666-1670
Volume 57, Preface 62   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  October 22, 2009
Maryland State Archives