clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e

PLEASE NOTE: The searchable text below was computer generated and may contain typographical errors. Numerical typos are particularly troubling. Click “View pdf” to see the original document.

  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search
search for:
clear space
white space
Proceedings and Acts of the General Assembly, 1771 to June-July, 1773
Volume 63, Preface 37   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

Introduction. xxxvii

Of the sixteen new local acts six dealt with the construction or repair of
churches or chapels. Of these six laws two were supplementary to acts passed
at a previous session of the Assembly. One of these was supplementary to an
act for building a parish church in Queen Ann Parish, in Prince George's
County (pp. 240-241). The original statute had been passed during the Sep-
tember 25-November 2 session of the Assembly in 1770 (Arch. Md. XLII,
330-331). The other law was supplementary to the act for building a parish
church in Christ Church Parish, in Calvert County (pp. 243-244). It was at
the November-December meeting of the General Assembly in 1769 that the
original act was passed (Arch. Md. XLII, 164-165). The Assembly which
met in June and July of 1773 disapproved of the supplementary law enacted in

1771 (PP- 354-355)-

Of the other four laws one of them had been considered at the winter session
of 1769. This act authorized the construction of a church in Prince George's
Parish, which was located partly in Prince George's and partly in Frederick
Counties (pp. 239-240; Arch. Md. XLII, xl). The other three acts provided
for churches, or chapels, in Stepney Parish, "lying in Somerset & Worcester
Counties" (pp. 244-245), in All Hallows Parish, in Worcester County (pp.
245-246), and in St. Johns "commonly called King Georges Parish," which
was located partly in Prince George's and partly in Charles County (pp. 280-
281). Governor Eden refused to sign a bill to divide Prince George's Parish,
in Frederick and Prince George's Counties, and to erect a new parish by the
name of Christ Church Parish (pp. 74, 234, 236). During the October-
November session of the Assembly in 1771 the inhabitants of St. Paul's Parish,
Baltimore County, in a petition stated that as the church in Baltimore was too
small to accommodate the parishioners "in Time of Divine Service and is very
ancient and decayed which renders it not worth repairing," they asked that the
sum of three hundred and twenty thousand pounds of tobacco be appropriated
for building a new church in Baltimore. On November 19, 1771, this petition
was referred to the next session of the General Assembly (pp. 18, 21, 135, 142-
143, 182). When the Assembly met during June and July of 1773, the same
action was again taken in regard to this petition (p. 373).

Two of the remaining ten local acts passed at the October-November session
of the General Assembly in 1771 related to the building of court houses. One
law, supplementary to a statute, enacted during the September-November
meeting of the Assembly in 1770, concerned the court house in Dorchester
County (pp. 255-257; Arch. Md. XLII, 326-328). The other law was in regard
to finishing and completing the court house and prison in Baltimore County.
It appears that the prison had recently burnt down (pp. 282-283; Arch. Md.
LXI, 442-445). One act sought to remedy "divers Defects" in the records of
Charles County" (pp. 277-279), while another provided for the adjournment
and continuance of the Frederick County court (pp. 279-280).

Two acts related to the poor in Frederick and Ann Arundel Counties (pp. 259,
303-304). Both these laws were based upon a statute passed in 1768 entitled
"An Act for the Relief of the Poor within the several Counties therein men-


 

clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Proceedings and Acts of the General Assembly, 1771 to June-July, 1773
Volume 63, Preface 37   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 01, 2018
Maryland State Archives