clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e
  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search search for:
clear space
white space
Maryland Manual, 1991-92
Volume 185, Page 371   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space

Care Services Division. In 1989, itwas restructured
as the Field Services Division.
The Division provides intake, probation and
aftercare services for delinquent youth. Through
intake services, the Division deddes for each juvenile
whether court proceedings are appropriate. The
Division also recommends to the court that adjudi-
cated delinquents be placed on probation, in a day
program, in a residential program, or committed to
the Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School. The Division
supervises delinquent youth during probation or
placement and monitors them after their release
from a residential facility or the Hickey School.

PROGRAM SUPPORT SERVICES
DIVISION

Susan J: Saperstein, AcriwgAs.ri.8awt Secretary

321 Fallsway
Baltimore, MD 21202 333-6767

The Program Support Services Division was es-
tablished in 1989 and received its current name in
1990. The Division coordinates and monitors
departmental programs for education, health ser-
vices, volunteers, foster grandparents, and sub-
stance abuse. The Division also operates the Arthur
G. Murphy, Sr. Youth Service Center.

ARTHUR G. MURPHY, SR. YOUTH SERVICES
CENTER
Charles F. Stewart, Jr., Principal

2400 Harmon Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21230 333-3900

The Arthur G. Murphy, Sr. Youth Services Cen-
ter opened in 1973 as as an alternative nonresiden-
tial education program for delinquent youth.
Baltimore City Delegate Arthur G. Murphy, Sr., had
long been a champion of education and vocational
opportunities for inner city youth. Following his
untimely death, the Youth Services Center was
renamed in his honor and stands as a memorial to
his dedication and concerns for youth.
Serving youth ages 16 to 18, the Center provides
academic and vocational instruction, as well as training
in job readiness skills. The program offers students the
opportunity to acquire General Equivalency
Diplomas (G.E.D.) and to become employed.

EDUCATIONAL SERVICES

Vacancy, Schools Superintendent
333-6174

Educational Services administers and supervises
academic, vocational and special education
programs; oversees contractual services; and imple-
ments federal education programs.

Department of Juvenile Services/371

HEALTH SERVICES
Thea Uhlig-Ruff, Administrator
333-3878

Health Services provides clinical, managerial
and administrative guidance to health services in
Department facilities and programs.

SPECIAL PROGRAMS
Charles Wilkinson, Jr., Administrator
333-6172

Special Programs coordinates Volunteer Services
and manages the Foster Grandparent Program.

SUBSTANCE ABUSE TREATMENT
Vacancy, Administrator
333-6767

Substance Abuse Treatment oversees drug
screening, referral, assessment, counseling, and
treatment services.

FACILITIES & RESIDENTIAL
SERVICES DIVISION

Vacancy, Assistant Secretary

321 Fallsway
Baltimore, MD 21202 333-8252

The Facilities and Residential Services Division
originated as the Institution and Detention Services
Division, created in 1987. The Division received its
present name in 1989. The Division oversees super-
vision of the Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School, three
community-based residential facilities in Baltimore
City, and five youth centers for young people com-
mitted by the court. The Division also operates five
detention centers and a community detention pro-
gram for juveniles awaiting trial or disposition. In
addition, the Division is responsible for transport-
ing youth between court and State facilities.

CHARLES H. HICKEY JR. SCHOOL
Paul D. Donnelly, Superintendent

2400 Cub Hill Road
Baltimore, MD 21234 668-3300

The Charles H. Hickey, Jr. School originated in
1850 as the House of Refuge (Chapter 374, Acts
of 1849). In 1910, itwas renamed Maryland School
for Boys and, in 1918, became Maryland Training
School for Boys (Chapter 300, Acts of 1918). The
School adopted its present name in 1985 (Chapter
245, Acts of 1985).
The School serves as a detention center for youth
awaiting trial and as a training school for young
people committed by the court. The School cares for
and treats delinquent youth between the ages of 15
and 17 (Code 1957, Art. 83C, sec. 2-117).

 



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Maryland Manual, 1991-92
Volume 185, Page 371   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  August 02, 2018
Maryland State Archives