Dr. Francis Marion Wood, Director of Col-
ored Schools, came to Baltimore August 1 ,
Dr. Wood was born in Glasgow, Barren
County. Kentucky, 1878, and received his com-
mon school education in that city- After com-
pleting his elementary education, he studied
at the State Normal School, now Kentucky
Normal and Industrial College, from which
he received two diplomas, one from the aca-
demic department of the State Normal School
and the other from the agricultural depart-
ment of the same institution. In 1906 the de-
gree of Master of Arts was conferred on him
by Eckstein Norton University, which later
merged with Lincoln Institute of Kentucky.
Dr. Wood began his career in a one-room
log school in the rural district of his native
state, and during a service of many years has
taught in all grades of elementary, high
schools and college. He has served as prin-
cipal of elementary schools, high schools, and
president of the Kentucky Normal and Indus-
trial College at Frankfort, Kentucky. By the
Kentucky State Superintendent of Public In-
struction he was appointed State Supervisor
of all the schools of Kentucky, having under
his supervision about fifteen hundred teachers.
Dr. Wood wag also Director of the Rosenwald
Fund for Kentucky and supervised the build-
ing of many Rosenwald schools in that Stale.
In 1924, under the auspices of the General
Education Board of New York City, he was
sent to Hampton Institute, where for twelve
months he pursued courses in English, Sci-
ence, History and Education. Dr. Wood has
often mentioned that, so far as he knows, he
came to Baltimore by accident, having been
invited by the Superintendent and Board of
School Commissioners to consider the super-
vision of colored schools in Baltimore City.
Dr. Wood is married and has four children.
Mrs. Wood is a graduate of the Kentucky
Normal and Industrial College and has had
several years of experience as a tearher. She
has specialized in English and Home Eco-
Dr Wood IB now completing me sixth year
as administrator of the colored schools of Bal-
timore City. During his administration the
colored schools have had a tremendous growth,
not only in the addition of many principal-
ships, supervisors, assistant supervisors and
special teachers, but by the marked improve-
ment in instruction. In a public address a
few months ago. Mrs. Mane O. Bauerschmidt
stated that the colored schools of Baltimore
had made more progress since 1925 than they
had made during any previous forty years.
On December 15, 1930, a public testimonial
was piven Dr. Wood, at which time tbe offi-
cials of Baltimore City, headed by His Honor
William F. Broening, Mayor of the City ; the
Board of School Commissioners, headed by Mr.
William Lee Rawls, president ; the Board of
Superintendents, headed by Dr. David E. Weg-
lein. superintendent ; the Public School Asso-
ciation, headed by Mrs. Marie O. Bauern-
schmidt, executive secretary : and Morgan Col-
lege, headed by Dr. J. O. Spencer, president.
lauded the achievements of tht colored public
schools under the directorship of Dr. Wood.
On this occasion a very handsome scroll
was presented the Director of Colored Schools.
on which the names of the city officials, school
officials, and about seven hundred teachers in
the colored schools were inscribed. On the
same occasion a very handsome portfolio was
presented Dr. Wood by the Public School Asso-
ciation of Baltimore City in recognition of his
services rendered to all the people of Balti-
In further recognition of his service and
with a view of increasing his efficiency as
administrator of the colored schools of Balti-
more, the Board of School Commissioners, at
its meeting on May 7th. upon the recom-
mendation of Dr. David E. Weplein. voted to
turn over to Dr. Wood and his assistants the
present Administration Building at Madison
imd Lafavete Avenues, After July 1, 1931.
Dr. Wood and hifc force of thirty individuals
will occupy the Administration BuiSdiner. Dr.
Wood received bin deprree of Doctor of Peda-
gogy at the commencement exercises at Mor-
tran College. June 2, 1931.