tertown, and Fire Proof Offices for the Clerk of the Circuit Court and Register of Wills, and
suitable offices for the Sheriff and County Commissioners, and to provide means for accom-
plishing such purposes."24 A bond issue in the amount of $12,000 was authorized, and the
commissioners, who are named in the act, were required to fireproof all or part of the building
and to furnish proper quarters for the courts and the other business of the county during
the period when neither the old nor the new building would be usable, and all of this out of
the same funds. The building erected at this time, while most unprepossessing in appearance,
served its purpose without major repairs or alterations for fifty years. The names of the
architect and builder are unknown to this writer but either one or the other was probably
John A. Kennard.25
Then, in 1912, an act was passed to authorize the issuance of $20,000 in bonds to remodel
and enlarge the building (subject to a referendum).26 It has not been possible to determine
whether this referendum carried; we can only be sure that it was called to the attention of
the Supervisors of Elections at a special meeting of the county commissioners.27
Finally, in 1937, further enlargement and remodeling was undertaken. While the facade
of the building remained quite as it was in 1860, the vaults were made fireproof, the floor in
the vestibule bricked, and a new heating plant installed. This work was under the supervision
of two associated architects of Baltimore, Henry Powell Hopkins and Allan Burton.
24 Ch. 28.
25 Proceedings of County Commissioners of Kent County,
April 5, 1860, Ms., Courthouse, Chestertown.
26 Ch. 706.
27 Proceedings of County Commissioners, October 17, 1912,