clear space clear space clear space white space
A
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e
  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search search for:
clear space
white space
Proceedings and Acts of the General Assembly, 1764-1765
Volume 59, Page 370   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>
clear space clear space clear space white space


370 Appendix.

MSS Ar-
chives of Md.
Portfolio 2
No. 76
Hall of
Records

& the People of Maryland as the querist would insinuate but between
the Upper House of Assembly near half the Members of the Lower
House & a very considerable part of the people on one side & a
small Majority of the Lower House & with the Rest of the People
on the other side, & therefore the Gentlemen of the Upper House
insist that to prevent partial or unfair Representations being made
by the Agent of One Party it is reasonable that the other Party
should have an Agent likewise & that the Expence of both should
be defrayed out of the provincial Treasury.

8. If the Lower House would have joined with the Governor &
the Upper House in an Address to our most Gracious Sovereign
on His Accession as had been done on similar Occasions & as they
were then invited to do, or if they would on that Occasion have
transmitted a separate Address to the King under Cover to the

[p. 9]

Proprietary His Lordship would readily have presented it, & the
Reason why the Address they sent on that Occasion inclosed in a
Letter to One of His Majesty's principal Secretaries of State was
never presented to His Majesty was that it did not come thro the
usual Channel

9.
10. The Courts of Justice in Maryland are the County Courts held
four times a Year in each County, the Provincial or supreme Court
held twice a Year at Annapolis, the Court of Chancery held four
times a Year & the Court of Appeals which meets three times a Year.

11. The Court of Appeals, is established by Act of Assembly &
receives Appeals both from the Courts of Law & the Court of
Chancery.

12. Appeals are made from the County Courts to the provincial &
from the Provincial & Chancery Courts to the Court of Appeals
tho not often.

[p. 10]

13. The Judges of the County Courts are the Justices of Peace
appointed by the Commission from the Lieutenant Governor out
of the principal Gentlemen in each County that are willing to act
for as it is a very troublesome Office many Gentlemen decline it;
they are dismissible at pleasure as are all Justices of Peace in the
Kings Dominions, but as there are from Ten to Twenty of them
in a County, few of them very fond of the Office & all of them
desirous to stand well with their Neighbours & not a few of them
Members of the Lower House there is not the least Room for a
Suspicion of the County Courts being under any proprietary In-
fluence & they are under the Tye of an Oath to pay no Regard in
the Distribution of Justice to any Orders Letters or Influence
whatever & if they were all inclined to violate it or to favour the
Proprietary in any Instance they could scarcely do so unless they
were also to corrupt the Juries who are always inclined to favour



 
clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
Proceedings and Acts of the General Assembly, 1764-1765
Volume 59, Page 370   View pdf image
 Jump to  
  << PREVIOUS  NEXT >>


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact mdlegal@mdarchives.state.md.us.

©Copyright  October 31, 2014
Maryland State Archives