MARYLAND MANUAL 213
The Legislature in 1960 proposed four amendments to the Constitu-
tion of Maryland which were ratified by the voters. Two of these
amended the Declaration of Rights to the Constitution to keep assess-
ments on farm property at their traditional level even though such
property might be more valuable if subdivided and used otherwise.
Another amendment increased the membership of the Court of Appeals
from five to seven judges, five of whom comprise a quorum. The
fourth amendment modified the powers of counties to contract debts.
It permits counties to make grants of public funds to industrial devel-
opment corporations, if they so desire.
A total budget of $482,285,954 was proposed by the Governor and
passed by the General Assembly. It appropriated $233,146,175 in
general funds, $164,251,006 in special funds, and $84,888,773 in federal
funds. The 1960 session of the Legislature also authorized a State debt
of $20,268,000 for building construction.
A HISTORY OF
THE 1961 SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The General Assembly of Maryland met in approximately its 327th
session on January 4, 1961. It adjourned on the evening of the 88th
day, being April 1. As in the 1959 and 1960 Sessions, there were only
ten minority members in both Houses of the Legislature. The elections
of 1958 had returned to the House of Delegates 116 Democrats and 7
Republicans, and to the Senate, 26 Democrats and 3 Republicans.
A total of 1551 bills was introduced, of which 576 were Senate bills
and 976 were House bills. Four hundred fourteen Senate bills passed
both Houses, and of these, the Governor signed 408 and vetoed 6. Five
hundred twelve House bills passed both Houses, and of these, the
Governor signed 499 and vetoed 13.
Since the Governor made the 19 vetoes after the General Assembly
had adjourned, these bills must be returned to the two Houses at the
next session for a vote on sustaining or overriding the vetoes.
Ninety-eight joint resolutions were introduced, 36 in the Senate and
63 in the House. Sixteen Senate Joint Resolutions and 35 House Joint
Resolutions passed both Houses.
Among the more important legislation enacted at the 1961 Session
were three bills to place the activities and stock issuance of savings
and loan associations under State control and regulation. The Legisla-
ture established a Department of Building, Savings and Loan Associa-
tions operative on June 1, 1961. This Act, however, must be submitted
by referendum to the voters in 1962. Another bill required savings and
loan associations to obtain approval of the Attorney General for stock
sales and transfers in the interim.
The General Assembly of 1961 enacted legislation to implement
Section 41C of Article IV of the Constitution of Maryland, which was
approved by the voters at the November 1960 elections. This amend-
ment created a Municipal Court in Baltimore City to replace the
former system of lower municipal courts. After approval by the voters,
the amendment required additional legislation to provide for the
appointment of judges and other personnel and to establish the general
organization and operation of the Municipal Court.
The Legislature of 1961 proposed only one amendment to the Con-
stitution of Maryland which is to be submitted to the voters in 1962.
Its purpose is to change the procedure for the immediate taking of
property condemned for public use in Baltimore City.