SEVENTH REGIMENT INFANTRY.
Compiled from original oources by Col. Charles E. Phelps, Brevt. Brig. Gen. U. S. V., at the request of the
Commissioners, under the Act of 1896, Ch. 134, "to provide for the completion of the records
of the soldiers, etc., accredited to the State of Maryland in the late Civil War, etc."
THIS regiment was recruited from the northern line of Maryland
counties, under the call of July 1, 1862, for "three years or the
war.'' Toward the end of August, 1862, nine companies had
been enrolled and mustered in Baltimore, and went into " Camp
Harford," a spot now included within the limits of Druid Hill
Park. The aggregate strength of the regiment at that time was
784 officers and men. Pressing exigencies of the service hurried
it into the field before it had received its tenth company, the
men recruited for which were mustered into other regiments. The tenth company,
K, was composed of the re-enlisted men of the Tenth Maryland (a six months' organi-
zation), and joined the regiment in April, 1864.
Material of the Regiment.
There were very few foreigners in this regiment. Most of the line officers and men
were substantial farmers, mechanics and laboring men from the rural districts. Very
shortly after they had come to know each other, a unanimous preference for the
mounted service took shape in a formal but unsuccessful application to the War Depart-
ment for transfer to the cavalry.
Two companies (C and H) were raised in Harford County, one (D) in Baltimore County,
and one (F) in Carroll. Three (B, E and G) were recruited in Frederick County, and two
(A and I) in Washington County. There was no city company in the Seventh until
joined by company K, above mentioned, and this company was composed of young active
men, clerks, etc., from Baltimore.
The Seventh Regiment was raised and originally commanded by Colonel Edwin H.
Webster, of Harford County, a representative from Maryland in Congress. Lieut.-Colonel
Charles E. Phelps, subsequently promoted Colonel, and later Brigadier-General by
brevet, was a member of the Baltimore bar, and had been Major of the "Maryland
Guard," somewhat celebrated just before the war as a thoroughly drilled volunteer bat-
talion, most of whose members went South. Major William H. Dallam was a prominent
and highly esteemed lawyer of Harford County, and enjoyed the confidence of the entire
community in which he lived. He had served the public in the capacity of Clerk of the
Circuit Court and for many years as State's Attorney.
Adjutant George L. Tyler and Quartermaster Thomas S. Nesbitt were young gen-
tlemen of prominent families in Frederick and Washington counties respectively. Sur-
geon James H. Jarrett and Assistant Surgeon (afterwards Surgeon) Robert K. Robin-