CIVIL LIST 119
20. Capt JOHN COODE carried on the government, after the
Convention dissolved, under the style of " Commander in Chief."
21. PROVINCIAL CONVENTION, April, 1690.
22. Capt. JOHN COODE and a committee of two from each
county, appointed by the Convention, administered government
until Coode left for England, to prefer charges against Lord
Baltimore, in August, 1690. After his return from this mission
Coode, an habitual malcontent, was not again allowed to play
any part in Maryland affairs. He died obscurely in March,
23. Col. NEHEMIAH BLAKISTON (Prot, wife Cath., dau. of
Thomas Gerrard and sister of the former Mrs. Coode), appointed
by Coode to succeed him in August, 1690; superseded by Copley.
24. Col. LIONEL COPLEY (Prot.), com, by William and Mary,
27 June 1691, as Captain General and Governor in Chief, Chancel-
lor, and Vice Admiral; arrived shortly before 6 April 1692; died
in office 9 Sept. 1693. On 1 Oct. 1692 he received from England
the new Great Seal of Maryland, which he then entrusted to Col.
Nehemiah Blakiston as Chancellor. Copley had obtained the
favor of King William by securing for him the port of Hull on
William's entrance into England. He has commonly been con-
fused with his own elder son, Sir Lionel Copley of Sprotsborough,
25. Sir THOMAS LAWRENCE, Bart. (Prot), succeeded as Presi-
dent of the Council, 22 Sept. 1693. Superseded by Andros.
26. Sir EDMUND ANDROS, Knt. (Prot.), Governor of Virginia,
took possession of the Maryland government on 25 Sept. 1693
under a commission dated 3 March 1691/2. On 15 Feb. 1693/4
he appointed Col. Nicholas Greenberry Chancellor to succeed
Blakiston, deceased. He soon returned to Virginia.
27. Col. NICHOLAS GRBENBERRY (Prot), left in charge as
President of the Council by Andros; superseded by Lawrence.
28. Sir THOMAS LAWRENCE, Bart., reinstated as President, 7
May 1694; superseded by Nicholson.
29. Col. FRANCIS NICHOLSON (Prot), com. 10 Feb. 1693/4;
assumed office 26 July 1694. On 30 July he appointed Col. Henry
Jowles Chancellor to succeed Greenberry. In the winter of 1694-
95 the seat of government was moved from St. Mary's City to